Saturday, March 11, 2006

Disappointment at PS

Blogging from Palm Springs. I'm sitting here on a wireless network that is VERY slow. Painfully slow. Sometimes you hit a hyperlink, or "submit" button and just wait. And wait. Then you might get a screen that says that your request has "timed out".

Yesterday Sandy spent a good deal of time taking down coordinates for about a dozen "conference" specific caches. Last night after dinner we went back to our hotel room and worked for quite a while to set up for the next day. We took the coordinates, changed the names and input them into the computer. We then downloaded all the coordinates (about a dozen) into over 20 GPS units that Garmin had loaned us. Sandy prepared the handouts and some "signs" for the classroom. I prepared all the containers with disclaimers and logbooks. This morning we got up extra early (VERY difficult) to get a "to go" breakfast and then hide the cache containers all around the convention center. As we hid the last cache ... it began to rain. It then started to come down pretty hard. I went to the presentation room and began to plan for a modified version of the session: Plan B. I started the session, but there were less that a dozen people there. 8:00am on a rainy Saturday is a tough time to teach. I found out that they had originally printed my start time at 1:00pm so I think that some people may have not caught the change in start time. I was disappointed in my delivery. I question how effective I was. I was disappointed that it rained and we couldn't go out and find the caches that we had work SO hard to set up. I was disappointed that more people didn't show up and that my session was poorly attended.

Later, I was filmed for WestEd for a live webcast that will also be archived.

1 comment:

Dr. Glenn E. Malone said...

Keep your chin up...Jesus changed the world with only 12 people.

In Seattle we never let the rain stop us...we'd never go outside if we did. It's only water. :)

Seriously though I do know how disappointing it can be when you prepare so well, work so hard and you're ready to share a cool message...then only a few show up.

I had prepared a "killer" message for a young mens (16 - 20 year olds) bible study that I lead once a week . Typically I'd have between 12 - 20 boys show up each week...on this particular night...only one. I was bummed, however that one boy listened to my message, we prayed together about some things that we would have never done with a larger group...he said it was most powerful message that he had ever heard.

God always has a plan..even at the CUE conference.