Friday, November 04, 2005

TechnoFrustration

I'm sure that there are some of my non-techie friends out there get the impression that I never have trouble with technology. I know that some of them are really luddites at heart and would be happy if we could go back to the days of the carrier pigeon and making our own soap. I know that many of that many of them have experienced frustration with technology and probably think that I never do. The truth is, I often do. Most of the time I just push forward with persistance and determination because I need to do that to get the job done. I've encouraged them to do this and I try and model how you "usually" can win against the technology gremlins ... most of the time.

Yesterday, I got fed up and felt the techno-rage well up inside me. Within 48 hours the following things happened.

The back button on my browser would not work while I was working on Cal State work. No explanation.
I couldn't log on to AOL. No explanation.
Zip file wouldn't extract on one computer. No explanation.
iPod wouldn't connect. I think the HD is going bad. No explanation.
Car wouldn't start.
My new Palm has software install "issues" and kept losing data.
A CD jams in the powerbook while I am teaching at Cal State.
Couldn't find a paperclip to eject the CD. I later realize that the new PowerBooks do not have a manual paperclip eject feature anyhow.
Palm won't turn on in the morning. Not at all. I had to do a hard restart.
HD on the work iMac won't mount. I think it's fried.
Now my iPod connects fine.
CD finally ejects out of computer fine. A few seconds later I find a paperclip (ironic).
Student's midterm didn't upload to WebCT. I saw the student do it. Student failed to have a copy of the midterm as instructed.
Another site person has moved forward with technology without approval again.
The iPod starts making clicking noises.
My OPTICAL mouse cursor was sticking (like a mouse with a dirty roller / ball) ... But there is NO roller! ... and yes, it was on an "optically viable" surface. No explanation.
The iPod mounts irratically.
My brand new Palm will not turn on at all. It's fully charged and the reset button will not even bring it up.

No comments: