Monday, November 07, 2005

iPods and Hearing Loss

This Sunday I went walking / jogging in my neighborhood. I was headed down a "larger" street in the area: Over 2 lanes wide with a grass area divider between the two streets. Trees are planted in this grassy divide. On the OTHER sidewalk going in the other direction was another walker / jogger. I wasn't looking directly at him or paying any particular attention, but as I got closer, I could hear a sort of "hiss". Again, I wasn't paying attention to anything in particular, but this sound made me wonder. It sounded like a faint steam hiss. As I began paying attention I realized there were rhythmic beats in the "steam", sort of like tic, tic, tic ... I started looking around and realized that the sound was coming from the guy across the street ... I then glanced at him and realized that he had some white earbuds in place and was walking while listening to his music player (probably and iPod). He didn't even look at me, he was groovin' to the beat. I could hear from ACROSS THE STREET! I couldn't tell what song or distinguish any lyrics, but I could actually hear that he was listening to something!!! Whoa.

Read this


.

No comments: