Friday, September 30, 2005

Hit the ground running

We're back from our week galivanting about California. Since I'm no longer a K - 12 teacher, I don't get my summers off any longer (they were nice). In fact, summertime is actually a very busy time for the technology department at our district. We perform maintenance, upgrades, and many other changes that are best to do when teachers and students are not in session. This 1 week getaway was my one therapeutic chance to get away from it all for a bit. It was nice to drive away from the voices of so many obligations calling out for attention.

I remember the summer of my first year teaching. I was getting "real" paychecks for the first time and stretched it to go out to Europe on a backpacking trip for 6 weeks. I'm really glad that I went when I did. I look back at all the years since then. Every year I had to work summer school or otherwise supplement my income and would not have had the opportunity to go. These days I am lucky to get 2 weeks in a row, very lucky.

On this trip we drove up the coast on Friday night and reached Santa Barbara. On Saturday we had breakfast and walked the pier. We also hid a podcache in Santa Barbara as well. We then drove up to San Simeon to see Hearst Castle. On the way up we stopped by Sandy's Aunt's house to take a look at it. They are interested in creating a website to help promote the rental of the house. It's a nice beach house in Cayucos (near San Simeon).

I'll post some picture soon.

No comments: